bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert

I have a check engine light and P242F code, the light blinks

Customer Question

I have a check engine light and P242F code
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: the light blinks at start up, when the key is turned on. once the engine is started it's on steady
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 08 6.7
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet just troubleshooting at this point . . . everything just started
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this point
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 22 days ago.

P242F is a full DPF or diesel particulate filter if you tend to let the truck idle or have chipped the truck this will accelerate soot build up and plug the filter faster

i have enclosed a link to the diag procedure for the code

please note there have been MANY updates to the STOCK ecm software which helped with idle soot build up and allowed for regeneration of the DPF more often, the DPF has been used on semi trucks for years and it's POSSIBLE it can be removed and cleaned by a diesel truck shop

this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service

each expert is an independent "contractor" and is only paid for their time when you rate the service 3 stars or higher

any positive ratings allow me to assist you with this question in the future if you need if you have further questions pleas ASK, i am here to help as well as I can