sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2005 92,000 miles. Engine control unit indicator light came

Customer Question

2005 92,000 miles. Engine control unit indicator light came on, and flat out speed now 40. Turbo resonator is metal, so the original must have been replaced before I bought it when it had 35,000 miles.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No but maybe I could buy one at an auto parts store. We are now about 60 miles outside Las Vegas and the local Dodge dealer does not work on Sprinters.
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Dodge Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What year is your Turbo?
Customer: 2005 5 cyl. One other thing: the problem began about 10 miles after I fueled up, but my tank was almost half full before I filled the tank. If I need to buy a scan tool, what should I buy?
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All I did was look for any loose wires or hissing of vacuum. I do not know what is wrong, what the repair would be like, or how I would get the parts quickly. Our Sprinter is a motor home and we are thousands of miles from home
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When the problem began, I pulled over, then turned the engine off. When I restarted it, it ran normally for about 1 mile before malfunctioning again. That trick no longer restores function.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 24 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The check engine light comes on when the engine controller sees a failure in a monitored component or system and sets a fault code. A failure of literally anything in the powertrain can cause the light to come on. Unless you're able to see a physical issue such as a wiring problem or damaged intercooler hose then the first step in diagnosing the problem will be to see what fault codes are setting. It's definitely possible that you have a fuel contamination issue since this happened directly after getting fuel.

Aftermarket scan tools and generic code readers will often report codes incorrectly on a Sprinter but the first step is going to be reading the codes. Unless you're going to California the best thing to do would be to try and locate a big chain parts store such as Autozone, which will usually read codes for free.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Meanwhile I had the scan. Result: PO 299 turbo underboost condition. Since I have a replacement metal turboresonator, how about a small leak in the large hose on the driver's side or in the hose under the turboresonator?Do you have suggestions. Seems like the fuel filter is not the problem? Ran the same route after the scan, and the light did not come on. There were some fluctuations/surges but the power stayed good and the turbo kept going.

The fuel filter is most likely not a concern. The most likely cause for this code would be a leak in the intercooler system anywhere between the turbo and engine but could be the turbo actuator.