Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 5.9 liter engine. I was driving

Customer Question

I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 5.9 liter engine. I was driving the my truck then all the sudden the truck went dead. truck has fuel, new battery, lights work you can hear the fuel pump activate, the truck cranks but will not start. I replaced the ignition coil last year ,with new wires and spark plugs. I have had person say it's the computer. whats your thought on this
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 22 days ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 22 days ago.

Are you looking for possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
can you tell me what I can be over looking something simple. or is this a computer problem
Expert:  Amedee replied 22 days ago.

Right now with the information you have provided, there is no way to tell. I would need much more information. However, I can tell you what to check to get the answer your looking for. The new ignition coil may be bad, tune up parts may be bad or the camshaft and or crankshaft position sensor may have gone bad too. These components will all prevent spark. So your first step would be to check for spark coming from the ignition coil while cranking. If there is no spark, then we check for power going to the ignition coil while cranking. YES, it could be a bad computer and YES, it could also be something simple that is overlooked.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
well the camshaft and crank was the next of thing I had planned to check, but was not sure since I was getting a good spark from the coil. thank you. I will go from here to see if I can resolve the problem
Expert:  Amedee replied 22 days ago.

Your welcome!

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 22 days ago.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Expert:  Amedee replied 22 days ago.

Did you have any further questions?

Expert:  Amedee replied 21 days ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!