Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber ... the battery is good, but the

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber ... the battery is good, but the engine will not turnover I noticed that the steering wheel is not locking
JA: How has the car been driving lately?
Customer: Great
JA: Are you fixing your Caliber yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing really ... trying to start it. I'm at work now and don't want to be stranded here ... 50 miles from home
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 24 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** does the dash do when you try starting the vehicle?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I see a lightNing bolt and Check engine light
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I'm 50 miles from home
Expert:  Matt replied 24 days ago.

another expert here

to get those fault lights then I'd suspect that there's no battery power reaching the starter motor

either the main battery is flat or if the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Expert:  Matt replied 19 days ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you