Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

Mode control doesn't work, 2010 dodge ram 1500 laramie,

Customer Question

mode control doesn't work
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2010 dodge ram 1500 laramie
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't tried anything yet. Just looking into it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

It is common for a mode door actuator to cause this problem. I have also seen the mode door break in the housing, so replacing just the actuator will not always work. You need to verify the problem.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

acuator mode door

REMOVAL

WARNING: Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable. Wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to follow these instructions may result in possible serious or fatal injury.

NOTE: The heating-A/C system is equipped with two mode door actuators, one for the panel/floor-air door and one for the defrost-air door.

NOTE: Illustrations shown with instrument panel removed for clarity.

PANEL/FLOOR DOOR ACTUATOR

Fig 11: Securing Panel/Floor Door Actuator

Courtesy of CHRYSLER LLCView Full-Screen

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the instrument panel center bezel. Refer to Body/Instrument Panel/BEZEL, Instrument Panel - Removal .
  3. When equipped with center floor console, remove radio. Refer to Electrical - Audio and Video/Audio and Video/RADIO - Removal .
  4. When not equipped with center floor console, remove cupholder. Refer to Body/Instrument Panel/CUPHOLDER, Instrument Panel - Removal .
  5. Disconnect the HVAC wire harness (2) from the panel/floor door actuator (3).
  6. Remove the two screws (4) that secure the panel/floor door actuator to the back of the HVAC housing (1) and remove the actuator.

DEFROST DOOR ACTUATOR

Fig 12: Securing Defrost Door Actuator

5. Disconnect the HVAC wire harness (1) from the defrost door actuator (2).
  6. Remove the two screws (3) that secure the defrost door actuator to the back of the HVAC housing (4) and remove the actuator.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't want to tear into the dash, etc. I just wanted to know, before I take the truck to the dealership or another mechanic, I'd there anything simple that could cause this that I could check myself real easily? Like, could a fuse cause this? Could a door just be stuck and if I reached into that part maybe I could jostle it loose? Anything I can try before I take it to mechanic?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Not a fuse. The hvac control module controls the mode actuator.

Disconnect both battery cables (positive and negative) and hold them together for 15 minutes. Then reconnect one at a time, positive first then negative. This should reset the system.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks