Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 2008 Dodge Magnum 3.5 had a p1004, replaced the

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Dodge Magnum 3.5 had a p1004 , replaced the short runner valve earlier today, cleared to code drove for about 10 miles and it threw a p2017, now when i clear the p2017 it immediately throws it again, I have cleared it at least 5 times now and it keeps coming right back??? HELP
Category: Dodge
Expert:  david craig replied 6 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. allow me a moment to pull up some info on your vehicle. thanks

If the valve is brand new then go ahead and replace the actuator. If you did end up having more problems with it then I would recommend next having the software updated. This would run about a half hour labor and would be much cheaper than the next step, which is replacing the plenum. Since it's cheaper and the flash is part of the correct repair procedure anyway, I would have it done before replacing the plenum.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is the actuator that I replaced some are the valve with the actuator mine is the actuator that slides into a grove. I did replace the actuator.

so you didnt replace the valve? or did it come as an assembly?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
dorman p/n # 911-904, they call it an intake manifold runner control valve but its not a valve it controls the valve

ill catch you in an hour. gotta get my butt out of this shop and get home

ok ill look it up

The valve should move pretty freely by hand with little resistance. The powertrain control module (PCM) watches current draw when moving the actuator and if draw goes too high then it will set this code

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The valve moved easy with no resistance. I'm thinking possibly a bad part??

not just yet. even though im not a fan of dorman... hang on

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
any ideas?

let me gather some info........

You probably need to remove everything and start over as It can be a bit 'tricky' to get the actuator in correctly. Keep in mind that the shaft of the actuator has to engage inside the plenum in a certain way.

The problem is the large o-ring on the actuator. The o-ring is such a tight fit that it is impossible to feel if the shaft is engaging correctly.

Remove the large o-ring from the actuator and install the actuator a few times for 'practice.' This will help you get a feel for how it installs.When you remove the old actuator, inspect the plenum for any damage. Use a flat-blade screwdriver to gently turn the short runner valve inside. It should move very easily. Keep in mind that it actually moves very little---only about 25 degrees or so. When you are turning the screwdriver it will feel like the valve is barely turning. This is normal.

Hopefully the short runner is not damaged. If so, the whole plenum will have to be replaced. The new plenum will come with a new short runner actuator on most cases.

Expert:  david craig replied 5 months ago.

hows it going?