Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have no power at the plug on my fuel pump but the relay

Customer Question

I have no power at the plug on my fuel pump but the relay has power. Which wire is hot for fuel pump on thw plug
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Power is good coming in relay no power going out and relay is good also
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2004 furango slt 4.7
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I have replaced the pump and it worked fine then it wouldnt start one day so i hit the relay box and it started. I took the relay box apart to see if there was a loose connection but wasnt. Cleaned 2 grounds on the fender by the box also
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That should be all
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

Your power wire should be dark blue/orange wire.Did you test for power the first two seconds the key is on or when cranking over the engine on this wire?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok there is no powe at the plug
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ans could i nump it from fuel pump fuse to the blue/orange wire?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,you should have 2 powers at the fuel pump relay.One is power at all times key on or off and one has power only with key on.You should have a ground on another terminal at the relay with the key on or cranking the engine only.If you can test these this will help in locating which is the cause here.

You can jump from the fuse to the pump wire to make sure the pump runs but I would want to test further to locate the fault to correct it properly.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A 5 star rating is appreciated.Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I jumped it to the blue orange wire and the pump comes on so could i run the wure to the fuelnpump fuse and drive it like that
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I dont recommend it.Does it start and run now like this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just rerouted the hot wire for the pump. I routed it from the relay to the pump and it comes on when its supposed to i am hoin to put the tank back in and make sure my wire is ran along the old one then i will message you back. I have been looking online for days to try and find the hot for the plug and couldnt so thank you very much for that. I will let you know once its all back togeather
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Sounds good.It will still be best to do further testing to locate the exact fault and operate the pump as it should be.Let me know how this turns out and if you need anything else as I strive to achieve a 5 star rating.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is running now. All i did was replace the hot wire from the fuel pump relay to the pump plug and it started rite up
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,if you want to test and repair this correctly let me know.I dont recommend to run it this way as it is no longer working off the relay signal.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well i tested the wire to the plug under the fire wall and there was no power at all as well as the plug on the fuel pump
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Did you test for the powers and grounds at the relay terminals (where the relay plugs in at) as posted above to see if any of these signals were missing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has 2 that have power the other 2 do not which i have the relay out while checking it and i checked it once the relay was in
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,do any of the other 2 have a ground signal only with the key first turned on the first 2 seconds or when cranking over the engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well i drove it for a day now and all of the sudden it quit. Fuel pump is working though.. There is spark to the coil pack. Im lost
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Most likely what caused the fuel pump relay to not energize is the cause here.Did you test for any of the two other terminals at the pump relay to see if any had a ground only with the key on or when cranking over the engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there was nothing. Theres fuel pressure in the rail also. So you think there is a bad ground or could it be a sensor.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

The engine computer turns on the ground from itself to energize the relay.It is very possible the engine computer is failing causing this fault here as this can cause your no start issue now as well as the ground loss to the fuel pump relay.It may have failed internally partially causing no fuel pump operation then failed completely now causing the no start.If you have not had the fault codes read out this should be done to see if any codes are set needing diagnosed and repaired.This needs done with a fully compatible scan tool that can read all computers.Any codes set need diagnosed and will help in locating the issue here.

Thanks Pete