K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I am having trouble removing the front axle on an '05 Dodge

Customer Question

I am having trouble removing the front axle on an '05 Dodge Dakota to facilitate removal of the lower ball joint
JA: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The axle should slide out of the bearing. I have been using a pens trying fluid to assist there seems to be a lot of tust. I have been attempting to drive the axle out with a hammer without damaging anything
JA: Just to clarify, which fluid are you talking about? And what color and consistency is it?
Customer: PB blaster
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just Ned to know if the axle is suppose to slide out or if there is anything retaining it
Category: Dodge
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 2 months ago.

There's a circlip that often gets rusty and will not allow it to release. You can use two pry bars or a slide hammer with attachment to grip behind it to pull it out. I'll post the procedure below.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am trying to remove the axle from the spindle, not from the front differential housing.

You will need to remove the bearing retaining bolts then use a slide hammer to pull the bearing/hub assembly off the axle.