Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

07 dodge ram 1500 hemi cranks and starter wont disengage and

Customer Question

07 dodge ram 1500 hemi cranks and starter wont disengage and motor will not start..Ran fine yesterday
JA: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?
Customer: havent checked the fuel supply
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just tried to start and charging the battery now
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Never had any problems before
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name is***** will be helping you with your question today...

Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

The first thing to check will be to see if any codes are in the PCM and then see if you have spark and fuel psi.. Let me know what you find..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Went out to start my truck this morning and it will not stop cranking unless I turn off the key and it will not start
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ran the battery down so Im charging the battery now
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Anyone there?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

If you bump the key it will crank on it's own which is normal and its called the "Tip Start"....Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if I try to bump the key the starter completely engage and will not stop until I turn off the key
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

That is normal which I just explained... The first thing to check will be to see if any codes are in the PCM and then see if you have spark and fuel psi.. Let me know what you find..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is not normal ..Im not turning the key all the way to the start position like normal...Im just trying to bump it it and the starter completely engages and will not stop cranking till I turn the key off
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do you check for codes on the pcm
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

"Tip Start" is normal. You will need a scantool to see what codes are in the PCM.. Are you trying to fix this yourself or just looking at to what could be the problem?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Trying to fix myself
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Ok then I will need for you to tell me if you have fuel psi, spark and what codes are in the PCM..

Talk soon,

Brad