Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Gasoline in the diesel tank, 2016 Ram 2500 Dieisel. Brand

Customer Question

gasoline in the diesel tank
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 2016 Ram 2500 Dieisel. Brand new basically but 11500 miles
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. and just tried to disconnect fuel line, drain fuel filter, and tried to run charge pump to drain tank then flush but can't get charge pump to run without turning on engine
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just need to know either how to get charge pump to run so I can drain the tank or how to drop the tank and then drain/flush. i hadn't run the engine with gas in the diesel. I realized before i started it that I screwed up. but needed to try to get started to get onto wrecker so I pulled fuses 70 and 73 and then tried to turn engine on to shift to neutral and engine ran for about 15 seconds then i turned it off hoping no gas in the diesel and it looks good now but need to drain and flush tank
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hello

running the engine for just a few seconds will be fine

if you locate the fuel pump relay in the underhood fusebox and remove it then bridge out the two contacts on the power side

(normally pins 87 & 30) using a piece of wire so the lift pump should run all the time

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is no fuel pump relay. Just a lift pump fuse and a fuel meter fuse.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where would I find pin 87 and 30. Are they on the underside of the fuse plate? Hard to get in there with the battery lead landed. Do i nee to disconnect the hot side of the batter to get under it and then reconnect so that I can see the harnesses and fined the two pins you mentioned?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
also, wouldn't I just want to run the lift pump and not the fuel pump?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hello

Ok looking at the image you've posted and researching a bit more it looks like the cummins engine in this truck has no electric lift pump only a mechanical one thats built into the main pump

so the only way to evacuate the tank will be to either try siphoning it out via the filler neck or you can use a electric transfer pump like this

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cftp12-12v-oil-and-diesel-pump/?da=1&TC=GS-051012212&gclid=COzPsrmwsM8CFQw6Gwods5kNYw

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got the pump running and drained and pulled the tank, rinsed several times, reinstalled, replaced filters and things seem to be working.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

glad you got it sorted and thanks for letting me know

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you