Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Runs like, 04 ram 2500 hemi auto, random misfire code. new

Customer Question

runs like crap
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 04 ram 2500 hemi auto
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: random misfire code. new oem plugs new wires new throttle body coolant temp sensor and thermostat. runs super rough until about half throttle then it clears up and runs perfect until the next light. if i pull the pcm fuse and reset it, it will run fine for about 30km and then start sputtering again. lots of black smoke
JA: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?
Customer: truck never quite stalls but idles roughly down to 500 rpm. seems like cyl 1,3,5,7 die out
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: this is a good start
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you are getting black smoke it is because there is some fuel not burning off. I would do a compression test first just to verify that the engine is fine. It is common for this engine to have valve seat issues. If that is fine then the signals from the oxygen sensors need to be checked. This would tell you if there is a bad sensor or I would use the fuel trim readings to see which side of the engine is doing this as it can be a vacuum leak or leaking injector. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ive already said it is cylinders 1 3 5 and 7. from that we should be able to determine what side of engine. also if you read my story i said pulling the pcm fuse will allow it to then run fine for 30km. does pulling an ecm fuse repair bad valve seats lol??
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
also it only runs like a bag at idle up to 1/2 thottle. then its like a switch is flicked and it runs like a top. i believe for some reason those 4 cylinders arent contributing and then all of a sudden they are
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

How have you determined the cylinders?

Do you have a scanner with o2 and fuel trim data?

Do you have a vacuum gauge?