-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

Context: 2014 Charger, 5.7L, dual zone A/C. Got a few months

Customer Question

Context: 2014 Charger, 5.7L, dual zone A/C. Got a few months left on its warranty.
The A/C behaves as intended 99% of the time. There have been a few "wtf" moments, though.
Here are some shenanigans I had with it.
I start the engine, turn on the A/C but no air is blowing. I restart the A/C and it still doesn't blow. I shut off the engine, turn the engine back on, and the A/C blows normally. This has happened twice, so far.
I took it to the dealership, they said they found nothing obviously because this doesn't always happen. They said something about updating some software ($10 says they just updated the infotainment screen, lol) and that it should be fine now.
Today, during a hot afternoon at the gas station, I had the A/C set to blow as hard as it can, and it was fine. I turned off the engine, pumped some gas in the car, fired the engine, and turned on the A/C. It was blowing but it was blowing weaker than I set it to. I assumed it was just placebo, but after a minute it started blowing at the level I set it to.
Also, I don't know if this is normal or not, but it usually takes 2-4 seconds for the A/C to start blowing when I turn on the car. It starts blowing air faster if the car is warm. Dealership said it was normal, Google gave me nothing of use, and I have no other Chargers around to compare my situation with.
This all screams "messed up actuator somewhere" to me, but I dunno. This also doesn't seem normal at all to me. How can I convince the dealership to take a damn look at it, if it's something that rarely happens? Knowing my terrible luck, things are gonna break once the car's out of warranty, so I'd like to have it fixed ASAP.
Oh yeah sometimes I hear a louder-than-normal (nothing terrible though) whir at the passenger side of the car, which, to me, is just extra evidence that it's a broken blend door actuator or something like that.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name is***** will be helping you with your question today...

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 month ago.

It is normal for the a/c to take a few seconds to come on as it takes a few seconds for the system to boot up. As for the blower motor speed issue as well as the noise your hearing I have attached a few bulletins addressing them. I would have the dealership verify the HVAC is up to date and there are no codes in any module. It's not a broken door is else it would never blow or never blow cold. Sometimes when you turn it off and right back on the system doesn't have time to totally shut off and on restart it doesn't totally reboot, so in these cases I would turn it off and wait 10 seconds then start it up... If there is any issues with your HVAC you can rest assured it will set codes in the system which the technician will see what he connects the scantool..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,