Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 2003 Grand Caravan 3.8 If I turn the key backwards

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Grand Caravan 3.8
If I turn the key backwards radio and windows work fine. When I turn it to ignition radio, windows, blower work fine ,, but if I crank and start the vehicle all accessories stop working. Radio, windows, blower rear and front stop working. what can cause that ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 2 months ago.

this can be 2 things a failed or sticking LOCK CYLINDER(where the key goes in) which is too tight from wear and age to return fully to the run position, the beginnings of a failure (crack in the mechanism of the LOCK CYLINDER HOUSING, which again will not allow the lock cylinder to fully return to the run position OR a failed ignition switch itself which has a weak spring inside and cannot return the lock cylinder to the full run position.

as i remember in years past when one of these would run across my bay with this issue the LOCK CYLINDER was the primary culprit, HOWEVER with a 16 year old van any of the 3 can be the cause now, i would start with a lock cylinder and ignition switch FIRST and then replace the lock housing assembly if needed

this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service

each expert is an independent "contractor" and is only paid for their time when you rate the service 3 stars or higher

any positive ratings allow me to assist you with this question in the future if you need if you have further questions pleas ASK, i am here to help as well as I can

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

What I noticed by doing some more checking was that when I turn the ignition on I am not getting any accessories working , but as soon as I bump the starter all accessories comes on ( windows, radio, front and rear blower) . But If I start the car the accessories stops workin.

Expert:  bill replied 2 months ago.

like i said the MOST LIKELY cause is the ignition switch is not returning fully to the RUN position, it was quite common on the 02 and 03 vans

Expert:  bill replied 2 months ago.

wiggle the key and see if the accessories start working

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I bought a new ignition switch and am using it with a screw driver, completely eliminating the tumbler but its doing the same thing..

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

New expert here.

Its normal for those accessories to turn off when in the start position. This allows all current from the battery to be delivered to the starter, starter needs a lot of current and this is a feature to reduce the other loads on the battery.

Have your starter tested, or try jumping the solenoid to see if it turns over.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The vehicle is starting and running good ! The problem is when the car is running no accessories works !
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Check around the main fuse box for a loose connection. Also check that your alternator is charging, and check the battery voltage. Look for loose cables and grounds. Check the wiring on the back of the engine, it is common to touch the exhaust pipe and melt together.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will definitely check all wiring and grounds!! But it is really strange to see when I bump the starter accessories come on but when I start the vehicle it cuts off !
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

It does sound like an ignition switch problem, but you said you already replaced it.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Are there any wake up signal that could keep the accessories from working. When I turn ignition on no accessories comes on, but as soon as I turn the ignition enough to bump the starter accessories comes on. But once the vehicle starts the accessories cuts off

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Are there any wake up signal that could keep the accessories from working. When I turn ignition on no accessories comes on, but as soon as I turn the ignition enough to bump the starter accessories comes on. But once the vehicle starts the accessories cuts off. what I notice is if I have the ignition on engine off the accessories are on, blower motor, radio, power window. why when I pull the starter relay off all accessories cuts off. I am checking the sense wire and sense wire return on the ignition switch what voltage I should read on these wire

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Check the accessory relay in the TIPM