Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Definiton circuit condition (heated oxygen sensor bank) how

Customer Question

Definiton circuit condition (heated oxygen sensor bank) how is this fixed other than changing the sensor itself; already change all four sensors on the exhaust system.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 8 months ago.

Hi there.

Different code readers display different code descriptions; can you tell me what exactly is the code number you're getting - just the letter and the following 4 digits (ex: PXXXX)?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
P0161. And P0158

Thank you. How about a little more detail on the vehicle itself... engine size?, auto or manual trans?, 2 or 4WD? Any modifications or enhancements?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Automatic 4wd. 4.7 engine

Thank you.

Since you have replaced them, we'll assume the sensors are good. That leaves us with an open sensor ground circuit or an open relay output circuit. Diagnosing this type of code becomes a lot easier when we have access to a DRB-III or equivalent scan tool. Do you have access to one of those? If not, it becomes harder to do but still possible using a good automotive multimeter. Do you have access to one of those?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do have a multimeter. Right now I am heading home. When can I contact you again.

I'll be online until 8 PM tonight.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a microns digital multimeter. With d c v and a c v. Auto range. Is this one good?

I searched the net for "microns digital multimeter" and the results showed a meter used for electronic device work, something I'm not familiar with. I think we'll be OK as long as you know how to use it to measure circuit voltage and resistance. Do you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Somewhat I still need to put new bats. And find the test lead. I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If is okay with u.

I'll be online until 8 PM tonight. Hope you're ready before I have to log out for the day.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can I contact u Monday or maybe Tuesday.

Of course. I'm usually on from 2 to 8 PM most weekdays.

Looking forward to working with you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks have a blessed weekend

And you as well

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon Juan now I have the tools ready where or what needs to be checked
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi mr. Crespo I need to know what is the next step.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.

Hi again. Please allow me a few minutes to get re-acquainted with the issue and look up the diagnostic procedures. Be back in a bit...

OK. First, we need to understand that these codes usually set when there is a problem with the circuit. Having said that, the most important step we need to take in our diagnosis would be to perform a thorough visual inspection of the wires and connections that pertain to Bank 2 downstream O2 sensor - focus on possible chafing or burning of insulation that could cause an open circuit. If OK, then turn ignition on and check for voltage going through fuse "U" in the under-hood fuse box (see attached graphic). If voltage at fuse OK, remove O2 Sensor relay and check for voltage at terminal 30. If all those checks come out OK, then we will need a scan tool capable of reading sensor data to continue our diagnosis.

Please let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will get back to you as soon as everything is tested and look upThank you

OK. I'm coming down with a nasty flu, so might not be able to check on you tonight, but I'll try to login tomorrow.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Most likely Thursday afternoon. Hope you be well then. Good evening.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
far there is no voltage going through fuse U. Other fuses around it have positive readings
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Good morning mr. Crespo hope all is well with you. Still working with the situation. There's no voltage on these two terminals. I await your response.

Hi again - feels like I'm back from the dead...

Back to the issue at hand; fuse U should have power with the engine running. If there is no power, then we need to consider an open circuit within the fuse box (PDC) as the cause.

Looking at the attached diagram, we see power should flow from the ASD relay to Joint Connector #2 pin 13 where it should come out at pin 15 to feed fuse U. So, if there's power at pin 13 but not at pin 15, then the problem is with the Joint Connector #2. If there's power at pin 15 but not at fuse U, then the problem is with the PDC.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am glad you are okay. I will check the voltage at PDC and the ADC and get back to you with results.

Thank you.