Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Rough idle, engine knock, misfire, backfire... p0172, p0300,

Customer Question

rough idle, engine knock, misfire, backfire... p0172, p0300
JA: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?
Customer: intermittent to consistent.. bogs and stutters
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 05 durango hemi
JA: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: cleaned the throttle.. just pulled the egr. air filter changed, dealership checked the spark plugs, all looked good. put in fuel injector cleaner..
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: changed camshaft sensor
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

What is the engine vacuum at idle?

Can I start by getting your VIN?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
idk
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
vin1D8HD58D95F605667
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no vacuum compression tests at hand just troubleshooting one thing at a time... car does not die out.. i guess it is intermittently.. drives smooth sometimes at higher speeds.. acceleration uphill backfires.. sputters and bogs lowers speeds.. vacuum leak first diagnosis.. now p0172 and p0300. Already changed camshaft sensor
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Thank you

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

One minute while I pull up your vehicle

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Your going to have to start by checking for air/vacuum leaks and checking the fuel system. Be sure no fuel is leaking into the engine with it off or running. You can check this using a fuel pressure gauge hooked up with the key on engine off. If everything checks out good, the most common cause for these codes is either bad oxygen sensors or sticky valves or valve springs. You can check for a base engine mechanical problem using a hand held vacuum gauge at idle. The needle should be nice and steady and should not fluctuate with the engine at idle. If so, that indicates a base engine mechanical problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the egr valve woyld not affect all yhese things???
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello! YES, the EGR alve can go bad affecting these things. However, my experience has been if the EGR valve is bad causing these conditions, it would set an EGR code.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just cleaned the egr put it back in drove it around.. sputtering and rough idle is gone. drives with power.. drive back home pulled new codes off dash doing the turn key technique... p0113 p0406
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

The P0406 is a very common code on this vehicle. 9 times out of 10, this is caused by a bad EGR valve provided the wiring are in good shape.

The P0113 is for the air intake temp sensor. This is usually just a bad sensor causing this code.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok so I ran the car around some more cleaned the iat sensor with maf cleaner.. codes are cleared. engine light turned off.. but you can still feel a slight... real slight.. shudder at all times.. do you think you would know what that is?? should I just change out the egr?? or could it be something else??
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

I think it is related to the valves causing the engine to misfire. I would check engine vacuum like I mentioned earlier. If that checks out good, then yes, I would replace the EGR valve.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!