Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

After it runs for about 20 minutes it starts to sputter and

Customer Question

after it runs for about 20 minutes it starts to sputter and stalls for a while then it stops doing that and runs a little rough but doesnt stall
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: check engine light comes on and sometimes goes out stalls at idle and when braking
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1998 5 slt 5.9 l
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced the ecm I had it to my mechanic and he said to sell it and get a new car but I love this car
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Are you able to scan the system and see what the fault code and or codes are that should be setting when the check engine light comes on? Most auto parts store such as Auto Zone will do this scan for you at no charge.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I forgot to add I can take the car onto the parkway and punch it into passing gear three or four times and the car will run fine for a while. No I do not own a scanner
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Sputtering in most cases is caused by an engine misfire but before we consider that being the case it would be very helpful if you could get the system scanned. Stop by your local Auto Zone and they will do it at no charge and post back with them and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok just one question why would "punching" the accelerator cause the car to run normal
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Punching it give the system more fuel as well as RPM as well as changing load and in some cases can cause the problem to be over ridden.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Your very welcome, post back with the fault code and or codes and we can work from there.