rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have two questions. I have Dakota 4x4 4.7 magnum 2004

Customer Question

I have two questions. I have Dakota 4x4 4.7 magnum 2004 bought it used 1year ago. 103,000 miles. No repair history I can find. Question 1. When I 1st start it the oil pressure gauge goes to the first white line on the gauge and within seconds it is in the middle looking good. Regardless of time sitting or outside temp. I realize this is a positive displacement pump. Not the old style gear pumps. The reason I question this is because I hear some valve ticking noise also at start up. From what I can find changing the pump is not as easy as in the old days. 2nd question. After I start if I put it in drive it seems the trans will not shift properly. The motor winds up the rpm's then shift. Within a few blocks all is good. If I start and sit a minute or two then drive it seems good. I have been working on cars for many years. This particular truck is new to me. I hate to just change parts and hope for the problem to go away especially if this is just the way this truck is. Every vehicle has its little quirks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mike O'Reilly
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

It does sound like a bad pump or you have sludge in the motor causing a flow restriction.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:

Check fluid level and color.Make appropriate repairs.

Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and this is the easiest way to check them.

Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside pan.

Check valve body and clutches visually.

Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just were a bit low on fluid.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

If you do have sludge buildup in the motor, there are many good chemicals out there that work great for flushing out the oil, so don't panic thinking you have a serious problem when you really don't.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. Oil and filter fresh
Using synthetic oil. Have not dropped oil pan yet. Will look at pickup tube.
Trans fluid seems fine. No burning smell. I will drop that pan and check the rest.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Excellent.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you to see if you have any more questions.
Thanks, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Thanks, Ron