Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

1st let me say i am a mechanic. i have done all basic tests

Customer Question

1st let me say i am a mechanic. i have done all basic tests according to alldata and this is wierd. so i am looking for that "i have seen this before thing"
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: sorry to fast with the buttons. 1998 dakota king cab 4x4 v6 idle air issue. My idle air is overrunning causing a 2500 to 3000 spike, i have replaced idle air control twice and cleaned throttle body. all symptoms point to idle air. have disc tps and map the only thing the helps is disc idle air or putting a load on eng. ie AC
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: millage is 148k
JA: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: wait for it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: ha d an intermitant iac code that is now gone with new iac
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name is***** will be helping you with your question today...

Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Since you have replaced the IAC and you still have high idle then you likely have a vacuum leak. Can you start it up and take the oil fill cap off and tell me on a scale of 1 being slight to 10 being extreme of how much vacuum you feel when you place you hand over the oil fill..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
little to none
i also have an idle surge from 850 to 950
high idle comes into effect after comp loads sensors and can run up to 3k. no effect with tps or map plug removal only stops with iac disc or minor load (ac on)
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
keeping in mind curb idle is fine. if i touch the throttle it will surge to 3k
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

What is the IAC steps when watching with a scantool? Was it a new OEM or aftermarket IAC? Has the PCM been updated? Any codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my scan tool will not accommodate iac. aftermarket iac x2 but reinstalled original and same issue. i did shoot some tb cleaner down the throat prior to problem. could that have damaged other old comp. i just acquired this truck so unsure of prior issues.>
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
tps seems ok on scan toon live pid. map also looks good live pid
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ps i hear no vac leaks but will put my tester on that. seems iac is just holding open with slow release causing high idle. thinking elect issue.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what other sensors can effect iac? iat? before i condemn a comp i want to ensure all other venues are covered.
please expert me
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
updating pcm why? its all stock