Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.7l Hemi. Two days ago

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.7l Hemi. Two days ago I was out and about running errands. The truck ran perfectly fine. When I came out of the store from my third stop of the day I went to turn on the truck and she started, but then immediately died. I tried again and she started no problem again but immediately died again. Even with me pressing the gas pedal, the engine will rev a bit then die. I thought it may have been bad gas so I drained the tank using the fuel pump. I disconnected the line going to the fuel rail then ran a jumper from pin 87 for the fuel pump relay to the battery and the fuel pump make it flow out quite nicely and it was a FULL tank. The truck will however stay running if I spray starter fluid into the intake. Any help would be appreciated.
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Dodge Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Has your car been stalling?
Customer: Not before this incident. Now she just will not stay running.
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am, and everything I have tried is listed.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope thats about it
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Cary York replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

When you turn the key on, is there a theft or key light on the dash? It should light up and then go off in about 10-20 seconds. If it stays on or flashes then there my be a problem with the anti-theft system.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cary,For thank you're your response. There are no flashing or prolonged key and anti theft lights on the dash. The only light that stays and flashes after wards is the check engine light.

If it runs with starting fluid we have ignition. Sounds like no inj pulse. Do you have a scan tool or code reader?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Way ahead of you. I check the codes using the handy key dance. And all of the codes were related to my troubleshooting i.e. Pulling the fuel pump relay etc. I then wanted to reset the codes. I did this by disconnecting the battery, exhausting all remaining power, waiting about five minutes then reconnecting. When I went to start it, it started and idled for the longest it has idled about 10 seconds then died. Restarted and revved a bit, only to have it die as usual. But all codes are now gone as well as the check engine light.

I am wondering if a scanner or code reader would communicate with the PCM. Concerned about a faulty PCM.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cary,I will have to see if I can snag a scanner/reader tomorrow. In the mean time is there a certain type I should get? Or anything else I should try to rule other things out in the mean time.Thanks

You can check all fuses and related connectors. PCM connector, engine harness, etc. The scan tool, it would be nice to have one that reads not only codes but live data. Shop around. Cheapest one you can find. Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cary,Here is the scan tool I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JFKSB38/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1It will be here tomorrow and I will plug in and see. Is there anything specific I should be looking for, or should do in order to get the result we are looking for? In addition I checked all of the associated fuses and relays, as well as check the connectors at the PCM, all look good, and nothing is blown.Thanks

OK. Let me know when you are ready.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there anything specific I should be looking for, or should do in order to get the result we are looking for on the reader?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cary,Tonight I did a bit more experimenting. I did receive the reader. There we no codes, stored or new. And when I go to live data there is a lot there, and I can see it changing but until you tell me what I am looking for specifically its useless. In addition in my troubleshooting, I decided to recreate the "best running" she has done. This happens after I reset the ECM by removing the fuse, putting the ignition in the ON position waiting, then back off, then replacing the fuse. When I do that she will run for about 30 seconds before dying, which is far better than the 3 seconds she normally last.This does lead me to believe that the issue if ofcourse computer related. Now we just need to narrow down weather it is the ECM itself or something that is giving data to the ECM. So what I need to know is what sensors should I check to see if they are the problem. Basically what sensors can get gummed up, or fault that tell the ECM to make the truck run or not.Thanks

There is a lot to talk about. We need to talk by phone. It's not just one phone call. We can talk as many times as needed at no additional charge. I will send a phone call request. Once you are ready with the scanner and at the vehicle just accept the phone call request and I will call.