sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

The theft mode has been activated in 2002 dodge durango. I

Customer Question

The theft mode has been activated in 2002 dodge durango. I had the motor replaced and gave the mechanic my 2000 dodge durango spare key. I don't have the original key and remote just a spare key to my 2002 dodge durango to unactivate. Is there another way I can unactivate it?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the vehicle has the SKIM system then a correct, programmed key needs to be used to start the engine. If an incorrect or unprogrammed key is used it will start and die and then lock the starter out.

Did the original key have a thick gray head?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not sure. When I bought the durango it came with a black key and is the only key that I have been using. The only difference beside the motor being changed out is the driver door lock is messed up.

What are the actual symptoms it's exhibiting?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It would crank then die and now it want even do that but theft light is blinking. And when I say it want even do that now it does nothing but all lights windows work.

Do you have the VIN?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do but not with me I will get it to you. With the symptoms I listed that is what the problem is though right

If it started and died three times and locked the starter out it's either due to SKIM or VTSS.