George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years

Parking brake drum pads stuck to rotor on bottom part i

Customer Question

parking brake drum pads stuck to rotor on bottom part i hammer rotor out about a inch almost to end of bolts
JA: Have you tried pumping the regular brake a few times?
Customer: i am doing a brake job have caliper off, trying to get rotor off
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2005 dodge grand caravan
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: doing my self did one side rear brake rotor and pads OK
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: looks like parkiing brakes pad mechanism will be torn out with ole rotor
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  George H. replied 1 month ago.

Hello I will help,

Have you backed off the shoes using the adjuster wheel at the bottom of the assembly?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no how do you do you back it up, I have seen that on you tube. i need some like jack stands before i get underneath car. it may be all rusted together other side drum mechanism very rusty and this side has more body rust.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
which way do you turn wheel
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if pads rip out with rotror is that OK , my parking brake is snapped and i done plan on using parking brake
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my parking brake cable is snapped
Expert:  George H. replied 1 month ago.

On the bottom of the backing plate inside there is a rubber plug. Remove that and there is a toothed wheel in the hole. Turn the wheel with a screwdriver tip. One way tightens the shoes and the other way loosens. Turn the rotor as you turn the wheel and you will feel which way you need to turn. All the way til the wheel stops and then you can remove the drum from the hub.

If you don't care about the shoes look for the heads of the pins that hold the shoes on. grind those off and the shoes will come out with the rotor.

Let me know what I can do to help

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my rotor does not have the rubber pug to get at wheel, so i have to get at from the other side, inside under car. is that possible.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i could just hammer old rotor back on it not that worn, hand just put the new pads on
Expert:  George H. replied 1 month ago.

You don't want to hammer the rotor back on at this point, the park brake shoes will drag. The plug is on the inside of the backing plate not in the rotor so raise and support the vehicle and get the plug out, back off the shoes and pull the rotor off.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK got it thanks
Expert:  George H. replied 1 month ago.

Great, please let me know if you have further questions.

You can also find the heads of the pins that hold the shoes on at 3 and 9 o'clock on the inside of the backing plate. If you grind the heads off the pins the shoes will come off.