sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

The 15amps fuses keeps blowing out when the running lights

Customer Question

the 15amps fuses keeps blowing out when the running lights are turn on. got an new light switch and took all the light bulbs out on front and rear and the fuse keep bloing out.
JA: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1999 dodge ram 2500 4x4
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes check all my wires.and unhook the wires going to the rear cut wire to the front left and right running and turn signal plugs and the fuse keep blowing out. look to see if any was ground out. but did not see any
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yeah how to fix the problem
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

What liter engine do you have so I can look at the right diagrams?

What must you turn on or do to get the fuse to fail?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
5.9 gas when I turn on my lights the fuse blow out for my front praking lights and rear tail lights

Thanks,

This is fuse #1, correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this problem started when I wanted to turn on my dome light.

Use this diagram.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/s104.pdf

Page 2 find the headlight switch. Follow the black/yellow wire down to splice 104. We want to find this splice on the truck and separate it. Turn the headlights on and find which wire is powered. Touch this wire to each other BK/YE wire noting which lights do work, so you can figure out which lights do not resulting in the fuse failing. This way we can start to narrow down the circuit to blame. Follow the left headlight wiring back to the main harness, open that harness there and that is where this splice should be. Let me know these results.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do know that the head lights,back up lights,turn signal lights front and rear and dome light all work. there is no tail lights and praking lights. the fuse keep blowing out when headlight switch is turn on.

Thanks, ***** ***** I outlined will tell us where to look next.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok fine bk/ye wire and splice 104 no power at all. #1 fuse replaced with new fuse got power going from fuse to headlight switchon pink/red wire but when headlight switch turn on fuse blow out.

You have located splice 104 and taken it apart and now have 6 BK/YE wires not connected and fuse still failed, correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it keep on blowing out when I turn on the lights
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
here something I try. replace fuse hook headlight switch back to electrical connector and cut ye/bk wire #8 on electrical connector and turn on headlight switch an fuse did not blow this time. but when I rehook wire fuse blow out
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
fine problem its in my dome lights. you help me a little. now I am on my dome light problem thanks

Glad you got it figured out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that wire from the headlight switch #8 can you tell me what it go to?

What is the wire color of this wire?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
yellow with an black stripe

I show 7 wires to the headlight switch. None of which are yellow/black. There is a black/yellow though.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
on my headlight switch there are 14 wires

The diagrams show different than the connector views. Which wire is yellow/black?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/C2.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/C1.pdf

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when looking at the headlight switch there are 2 row frist row go from 1 to 7 and the second row are 8 to 14 the wire I am talking about is the #8 spot and it yellow with and black stripe. I cut it and the fuse has not blowing but when I rehook it the fuse blow out.

Can you get me a picture since what your saying is not matching the wire diagrams?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
be in thr morning going to bed now

Super

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here a photo of headlight switch and wires

Dang I can not match those wire colors, can I haeve the vin#?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1B7KF23Z1XJ590923

I have to opt out, none of my diagrams match this vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
trying to fine out what the yellow with black stripe wire go to. when I hook it back it blow out my #1 fuse.

What is the exact location of the wire and in which box is the fuse blowing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it #8 on the electrical connector that hook to the headlight switch
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the fuse box inside by the driver door

Can you upload a picture of the fuse location? Number 1 should be a 20 amp breaker for the power windows.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It an 15 amp for for parking and rear tail lights

It looks like you have the yellow/black wire cut in the picture? The park lamps work without that wire connected?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
all lights work now. Just trying to fine what that wire go to. Because if I hook it back it blow out the fuse
It goes to the instrument cluster. Unplug the cluster and retest the wire for a short to ground.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok but all the lights work on the instrumpet cluster.

The next step in diagnosing the problem is to unplug the cluster and see if the short to ground goes away.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok

If the short is still present then the issue is in the wiring, if the short is gone then the cluster will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks