-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

My Dodge Neon is hard down shifting to lower gears and

Customer Question

My Dodge Neon is hard down shifting to lower gears and shifting to 3rd gear. Do i need to adjust the clutch cable?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No clutch slipping just hard to get into the gears.
JA: What year is your Neon?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you fixing your Neon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will try i had to change the clutch cable rubber housing on top of the transmission becuase the rubber in the center deteroated.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The transmission fliud is fine and no leaks.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

It could also be the synchros in the transmission is worn. I can send you the procedure to adjust the clutch cable.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Can you send me the vin?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is the VIN 1B3ES26C92D649869
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you send the procedure to adjust the clutch cable?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Yes

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

This has a hydraulic clutch according to the service manual.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it does.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

This is not adjustable, if there is air in the line the pedal will stick to the floor. This is probably a synchro problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No it does not stick at all. What is the procedure to adjust the cable to the transmission housing?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

My service manual only shows hydraulic. I will opt out and another expert will help shortly.

Expert:  -Brad- replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

The only adjustment for the cables is the crossover cable. Here is the adjustment procedure. If this doesn't work then your clutch is not dis-engaging or you have bad synchronizers.

ADJUSTMENTS

NOTE: Only the crossover cable is adjustable. The selector cable does not have adjustment capabilities.

1. Disengage gearshift boot retaining tabs to free it from console.
  2. Push down on knob and rotate clockwise to remove shifter boot/knob assembly
  3. Remove the center console assembly
  4. Loosen crossover adjustment screw at shifter assembly (Crossover Adjustment Screw).
  5. The gearshift mechanism and transaxle crossover lever are spring-loaded and self-centering. Alignment pins used in the past are not required anymore. Allow gearshift mechanism and transaxle crossover lever to relax in their neutral positions. To ensure the gearshift lever is in the proper position, place the shifter in 3rd or 4th gear if necessary. Torque adjustment screw to 8 N·m (70 in. lbs.). Care must be taken to avoid moving the shift mechanism off-center during screw tightening.
  6. Install center console assembly
  7. Install knob/boot assembly to shifter lever, align knob to three o'clock position, push knob down to engage spring and rotate counter clockwise.
  8. Secure boot retaining tabs to console.

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 5 months ago.

I'm not credited for helping unless you leave a positive rating. I did my part and explained what you need to do to repair our vehicle and I would greatly appreciate a positive rating..

Thanks,

Brad