Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2011 ram 3500 Laramie with factory brake controler. Brakes

Customer Question

2011 ram 3500 Laramie with factory brake controler. Brakes won't work. Works on my ford. Tested the fuse m18 and have to juice to it nor m17 or m28 or m35. Changed all relays and still nothing works. Any idea?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Can I start by getting your VIN?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
3D73Y4HL1BG519140
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the VIN!

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Are you saying that the brake lights dont work, the brake controller is not working or the brakes simply dont work?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Brakes on the trailer won't work. All the lights work but not the brake. Tested the fuses and some fuses won't work. Live side nor the out put side are both dead.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for that information.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

This is most likely caused by a bad integrated brake controller or brake module. This is very common. You can try to disconnect the battery cables from the battery and hold them together for a few minutes to see if that does the trick. If not, the brake control module will likely need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What about the dead fuses
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

It is likely they are dead because the module is bad. You can check power going into it to ensure that thye unit is getting battery voltage. If so, then yes, it will need to be replaced. If not, we pull a wiring diagram and trace the problem down.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've pulled them and no power comes from either post. Both sides of the fuse is dead
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

I am talking about power going directly into the module. The ITBM gets power on the Yellow/Red wire. This power comes from fuse J10. The ITBM also gets an ignition input on the Pink/Light Green wire. Here is a wiring diagram of the power distribution.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If the J10 is good and how's power going out what else could it be
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

The only other thing would be a wiring issue going to the integrated trailer brake module.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just checked the J10 and it's good
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Right.. that means that circuit up to that point is good.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

So if this fuse is good and there is power on this fuse, then there still could be a wiring issue between the TIPM and the brake trailer module. That is why I would recommend to check the powers going into the brake controller or module before replacing it. If all checks out good, the brake controller/module is bad and will need to be replaced.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Got juice to the control. What wire would be the output wire
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But m35, m23, m18, and m17 are still dead
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Also, be sure to check fuse M15 in the TIPM under the hood as this supplies power to the trailer tow module. The ITBM gets power on the Yellow/Red wire. This power comes from fuse J10. The ITBM also gets an ignition input on the Pink/Light Green wire. The ITBM gets ground on the Black/Dark Green wire.

When voltage is applied to the White wire from the brake light circuit, the ITBM sends out voltage on the Dark Green wire for the trailer brakes. The Dark Green wire out of the ITBM should have about 1 volt when checked with a DVOM. The voltage is pulled to ground when a load is connected. This is how the module knows if a trailer is connected. The module will not send out B+ on the Dark Green wire without a load connected. Here is a wiring diagram.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Those fuses you mentioned only have power on them when the parking lights are on, horn is applied and brakes are applied (depending on which fuse)

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Going to get some sleep. If you have any further questions, please reply below and I will post back in the morning. Have a good night.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All other fuses are good. Relays are good. Juice going to the controler is good. Just no juice going to the plug. The pin for the brake controler just flashes with the light tester. Ok thank you
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.
If it on one of the power circuits that supplies power to the module, then chances are there is a wiring issue preventing the module from getting full battery voltage which can and will cause this condition. I would check the wiring between the two modules and fix as needed. That will do the trick!!
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello and good morning!

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance or if you have any further questions?

Let me know!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
with key on pink and green off brake controler has constant power. White with blue line is dead. White with green has little power. Black and green is dead. White with purple dead. Yellow with red is constant. And green just flashes with little power. That's just using a test light
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Yellow/red wire and pink/light green wire should have power on them going into the module.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I pulled the plug off the truck and test the truck wiring and get the same power. So plug is good. So still looks to be the controler correct?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

You got it!!

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Do you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Replaced the control with new one from dodge and still nothing
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello! Did you get it programmed?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No they told me it didn't have to be programmed
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Ok, good! We need to double check the inputs again going into the module.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Took it to the shop and they said the wiring is good and controler is good. It's in the brain that is bad. Any idea
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello! Which brain? There are multiple on the vehicle..

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Um.....not sure. Just whatever sends the signal for the electric brakes
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

I would find out which brain they are talking about. Because we already checked the signals going into the unit and according to you, they check out good.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Unless of course you were checking the wrong module or did not do the tests correctly.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I had the brake controler out and was test the wires on it. The wires I told you is what was there so I assumed it was
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Ok, good. Lets find out which module the shop says is bad.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you had found out which module the shop said is bad?