Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

1997 dodge 3500 diesel 4x4 sport: abs and brake light comes

Customer Question

1997 dodge 3500 diesel 4x4 sport: abs and brake light comes on during enfine start, then goes off. 2 to 3 sec later comes on and stays on. Restart the engine and the lights will stay off. What's going on? Also, with the lights off, sometimes when I apply the brakes the pu will pull to the left (or right) but most of the time it will brake straight ahead..?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This is indicating that the anti lock brake computer is sensing a fault and does this after its self start up test.This is why the lights come on then go off then come on again and that it is intermittent as sometimes they stay off.

What has to be done from here to locate the fault here is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a fully compatible scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to help locate and correct this fault.

With it braking on one side or pulling to one side intermittently and the abs and brake light issue this can be a fault with a failing wheel speed sensor,brake caliper at fault hanging up intermittently or an issue with the anti lock brake hydraulic unit itself.

The fault codes do need checked/read out to help locate and repair this issue here.In some cases a local parts store will read the anti lock brake codes at no charge to you,they usually cannot do the diagnosis but can give you an idea of the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete