kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Can the water pump inlet tube o- ring and / or water bypass

Customer Question

Can the water pump inlet tube o- ring and / or water bypass hose, on a 1998 Dodge 3.0L be replaced by pulling it out from the back / drivers side of the engine... Or do I have to take the water pump off ???
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: It sat for a few moths... I put 1.5 gal. of water in it and drove it til it got too hot... The temp. gauge never got above half heat... don't know if it isn't working right... Don't know service history...
JA: What is the model of your '98 Dodge?
Customer: Caravan
JA: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, myself... we got enough water in it to get it home... don't think we caused any major damage... When filling the radiator, it runs out under the crank pully... If the car is raised a bit on the right, the water runs out the back around the trans...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time... Thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  kalamykid replied 5 months ago.

I hate to be the one to give you bad news, but more then likely the water pump is where your leak is. If it where the oring leaking, it would leak out the back side of the engine even if the van was sitting on level ground. But yes you can get the tube out from the back side of the engine. It is a bit of a pain to do, but I have had to do it a few times. If your coolant level gets to low and the engine coolant temp sending unit does not stay in coolant, it can and most often does read that the engine is not running hot. The sensor cannot pick up heat of air very well, so it must stay submerged to read correctly.