Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Shifting problems in my 01 ram 2500 Cummins, Not yet the

Customer Question

Shifting problems in my 01 ram 2500 Cummins
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Not yet the problem started last night after driving up a hill stop to wait for traffic so I can make a left turn when I went to drive again and drove through first was going to shift into second and it would drive up to about 2,500 so I let it idle back down to about 1500 its shifted barely and it felt like it dropped into the third call me up the hill the rest of the way
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I read through the forms online and they were saying grounds and batteries and little stuff and then the guy that previously had the truck said he had the same problem take it into the shop and it was the throttle body adjustment
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The truck has a hundred and seventy-one thousand miles on it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

Has the check engine light come on with this issue here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No engine light
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,what can cause this fault here is an issue with either the transmission valve body or a shift solenoid in the valve body.In some cases a fault code will set and not turn on the check engine light.The first thing that needs done here is to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.

If no codes are set the transmission will have to be tested further which will involve a transmission fluid pressure test gauge and other test equipment.In some cases the transmission will have to be removed to be inspected further internally.

These are the most common causes for this fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A 5 star rating is appreciated.Thanks Pete