Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

My engine is not recieving any gas, wont even turn on pump

Customer Question

my engine is not recieving any gas, wont even turn on pump everytime i put ignition on, i checked fuses 8-20a and 9-10a and they are fine, i proceeded with checking the voltage at these fuses and they are both above 12v, i went to check the fuel pump relay as well as the asd and they click, so assuming they work because they still click, i checked the voltage as well and again it was above 12v.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: yes my steering wheel turns, and i have the key that came with the truck when it came of the lot off*
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1997 dodge ram 1500 5.2l 5-speed
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and i havent gone to buy a new pump because i ran some wires from my battery to the pump and the pump runs the moment its directly connected and read the big paragraph above t and you will know exactly what ive done
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really ive said everything and the only thing i can think of is to rewire the pump to a new relay and fuse to a switch in the inside of my truck but im not sure if it will have any reprecusions concerning the pcm or ecm, so please let me know.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

After you straight wired the fuel pump, did the truck start and run then? thanks.