Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

Starting from the beginning, I have had my 99 "Rango" for

Customer Question

Starting from the beginning, I have had my 99 "Rango" for about a year and haven't seen any major problems with it at 175K miles. I put a new A/C compressor and Dryer on it and some new tires. The tranny has been fine but was giving me issues with not shifting up in first and second gear but being suck in 3rd. I took it into a shop after reading the OMBD II code that is was a sensor in the tranny. $350 lighter, It has been fine since.i had noticed there was always a build up of electrolysis around the + terminal on the battery that came with the car and would clean it but it would still come back. Finally I took the outer battery plastic case off and found the + terminal was crack for some unknow reason and had been venting electrolyte out thus the constant electrolysis growning on the terminal.Went to PepBoys, brought new battery home and installed it. Put key in to start it and got a "click" sound from under hood. I thought well maybe the battery wasn't fully charged so got meter out and it was at 12.5 volts. I put it on the charger thinking it needed it and still nothing. "Click Click Click" is all it does. No turning over, nothing.Now first thing I thought was I bought a new remanfactured battery that was bad. It happens. So I took the Starter out and check it. It works.I'm getting constant juice to the big threaded stud on the starter. Still clicksA friend turned the ignition key on as I held a test light on the connector lead to the small wire on the started and it would light up when he turned the key to start the starter. Still clicksSince I'm getting that power to that wire, that would mean the Neutral Postion would be working. So that eliminates that switch being bad.I check the relay under the hood. I swapped the starter relay out with several relays, It still clicks.
Also the sound seems to come from near the relay box. The Big 140 amp fuse is good as you can se its not burnt up.I read about having a large key ring causing wear on the tumblers on the ignition switch being a problem. However since I'm getting power to the small wire lead on the starter when my friend turned the key to start the motor, this can't be the cause.I did go ahead and change the Neutral safety switch as it was cheap and relatively easy to get to.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally? Soon. I'm trying to find the right Dodge Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. What is the model of your '99 Dodge?
Customer: About 175K and its a 5.2 litre 2wd Durango. 1999
JA: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I wrote down all the things I have done so far.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I think this pretty much sums it up.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

The problem is going to be in the positive cable that had that electrolysis build up. Is it possible for you to take pics of both battery cable connections and post them here? I may be able to give you the best advise if I can see for myself the battery cables..

Click Here for Document Upload Instructions

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.