Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I have a recall to replacethe passenger side airbag inflator

Customer Question

I have a recall to replacethe passenger side airbag inflator in my 2006 1500 truck. how long does that take?
JA: What is the model of your '06 Dodge?
Customer: 1500 quad cab
JA: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, i will let the dealer do it. I also hasve 3 of the air baffles for the heating and airconditioning system also malfunctioning. If they hsave to take the dashboard all out for the inflator, it would make it easier the do the baffle doors at the same time a\nd save a little money.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: no leaking at all
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can we start by having you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my truck is out of town for a few daysnow. I cant get that info. I had the heater I had the heater baffle repaired/replaced while it was under warranty. It is an all day job and quite expensive. The whole dashboard has to be removed to open up and repair the air chamber. The truck has 123,000 miles on it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
While having both actions done at the same time, cam i save some labor money?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that's it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Robert R. are you there?
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

I'm here, sorry for the delay. Give me a bit to gather recall info and I'll be back asap.

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Ok, Without the VIN, I can't be sure which recall applies to your vehicle but if it happens to be the S43 recall there is no repair information as of yet. FCA does not have parts available yet for this recall and as a result, they have not published the service information for this recall on 2006 trucks. The only info available at this time is the Customer Interim Notice letter --->> Click Here to view <<---

Because of this, there is no way to tell if you will save any money in labor by having them done at the same time. It is very possible that there may be an inspection process and only a certain part number may need to be replaced. Previous similar recalls on different model year trucks involved an inspection process and some of the inflators were not replaced as part of the recall process.

Either way, replacing the passenger air bag does not involve complete removal of the instrument panel assembly, it only requires partial disassembly in the area of the glove box and passenger air bag assembly. This process does NOT leave enough room to access the HVAC box assembly. You may be able to save a small amount on the labor but not likely much over $100 as there is not much overlapping labor in the removal of the HVAC Box.

At this time, on the recall if it is in fact the S43, you will need to wait for a second letter from FCA stating that the parts are available and to make an appointment with your dealer. At that time, you can negotiate with the dealer as to whether or not they can help you out with the labor for your a/c repairs...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly "Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you and thanks for asking your question!

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.