-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

About a week ago my wife's car (2010 journey FWD 3.5 V6) set

Customer Question

About a week ago my wife's car (2010 journey FWD 3.5 V6) set DTC P0350 Cylinder 5 misfire. I tried the simple fix, the coil pack and the spark plug. This did nothing. So now that taking off the intake manifold is easy, I have tried a few other things.
Things I have attempted for repair:
-coil pack
-plug
-sea foam engine treatment through vacuum line
-sea foam top engine cleaner through throttle body
-mopar combustion chamber cleaner through throttle body
so far no success with this!!
So today I did a compression test cylinder 5 was 60-70psi the others was 190psi. Alldata states minimum of 100 psi and all cylinders within 25% of each other.
After more research I think it could be one of these issues:
-excessive carbon build up on valves.
-bad rocker arm
And repair options of:
- replace valve spring retainer locks with new ones (part 53022277AA) this is supposed to spin the valves quicker to prevent carbon build.
- new rocker arm because low compression can be a sticky valve
-replace or rebuild cylinder head
Has anyone had and experience with this issue? Any recommendations?
Thank You for your time!!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you..

You welcome

yes i have several times . forget all the other repairs , i tried them all, you looking for head ache .

send the head assembly out and do a complete rebuild with valve job & clean up your intake .

new set of spark plugs .

Carbon build up is usually the most common cause .

after the rebuild head and repair, only use high octane gas .

Let me know if you need anything else on it ,just reply back here & we continue

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

The root cause of this issue is a bad rocker arm assembly. I have repaired hundreds here at the dealership and when you remove the valvecover you will see the rocker arm assy has eat into itself. It very likly was tapping for a while and if you would have replaced the rocker arm assembly you wouldn't have to pull the head but if it misfires then you have run it too ling and the rocker arm is off the valve tip which you will see and it caused the valve to burn. Chad is correct but if you don't replace the rocker arm assembly it will burn another valve.. This is a very common problem we see..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

i agree with brad , i get mine complete with rocker arm .

Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.
The only way you can get the rocker arms is as an assembly.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Now a few months ago I was under warranty and brought it to dodge. One of the complaints was a tapping. I told them I heard it on the highway when driving next to the wall. They told me it was a bad egr and the couldn't find any noise. So basically doing the rocker arm is a waste of time and money? I would have brought this back to dodge but I just don't have the money to do it. There is no other solution but to replace head? I see all data says like 12 hrs to do that. But then again it said it would take awhile to take off intake manifold and that wasnt the case.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Yes like I said the rocker arms will start tapping and eventually eat into itself and when it does this then it's too late because the rocker arm will not be on the valve which causes them to burn. Once you pull the valve cover you will see that it's not on. So right now you will need to pull the head and replace the burnt valves and then install it with a new rocker arm assy and you will be in good shape. I would also replace the other rocker arm assy as well..

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.
Do you need more help?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Are you still here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't need a new head. Just valves and rocker assembly.. Because Chad said to send out to get rebuilt. Do you think I have any recourse with dodge? Because I brought it to them in feburary because of the sound I heard.. They said it was nothing. Any suggestions on best place to purchase a head? I priced one at oriley and that said 500 and change it comes with valves can and rocker.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will rate you good.. Even though your answer wasn't the one I wanted to hear.. Lol
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

No you don't need a new head, you just need a valvejob because you have a burnt valve. Or if you like you can replace it.. And I'm not sure about any recourse but you can tell the service manager that he knows about the 3.5 rocker arms but didn't replace it and see what he says..

Yes the information I give is sometimes good and sometimes bad but you can count on it being correct..

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you recommend changing timing belt, water pump and hydraulic tensioner also? While I am in on this? And anything else you recommend during this repair? Also anything major I should be looking for on this car, or parts that should be changed as preventative measures? I am only asking because I also have a 07 ram with 200+ on it and no major repairs. So this type of repair at this mileage is unusual to me..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what type of fuel do you recommend is mid grade ok? Or do I need super?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Yes I would replace the timing belt as it should be serviced every 100,000 miles and you can run any type of fuel you would like because this rocker arm issue has nothing to do with the fuel type. This issue you have is due to a poorly designed rocker arm assembly..

Glad I could help and don't forget to rate!

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Brad