david craig
david craig,
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

94 dodge Dakota it is flooding the engine timing belt broke

Customer Question

94 dodge Dakota it is flooding the engine timing belt broke put new one in in time drove it about 2 miles and it died I was told the fuel pump was bad replaced it it was not bad.got bad advice.was Told fuel pressure reg was bad replaced it didn't fix it I am tired of getting bad advice put new plugs wires cap and roter did not help pulled codes and it said 12 25 two 23 can you guys help I had a stroke mar 16 I need truck for my doctors app please help if you can my number is(###) ###-#### thank you for your time
Category: Dodge
Expert:  JustAnswer replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for posting your question. We’re matching you to the right Expert, who will call you at the number you provided. Please leave any new details below.
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, please allow me some time to look up some information on your vehicle

Code 23

indicates that the PCM has detected a problem with the air charge temperature (IAT) sensor circuit. This code indicates that the computer has detected a signal voltage from this circuit of more than 4.98 or less than 0.06. In other words, the temperature of the charge air (air in the manifold) or throttle body is either extremely high or extremely low.

One of the wires to the air temperature sensor should always have 0 volts. The other should have a voltage between 0.5 and 4.5. If the reading is in that range, the air temperature sensing circuit is probably working correctly. If the voltage also changes when the temperature of the air changes, then that proves the circuit is working.

Begin testing the circuit by turning the ignition switch off and disconnecting the air temperature sensor wiring harness. Measure the resistance of the IAT - it should be in the range specified in the chart below. If it is not, the sensor is probably bad.

Connect a digital voltmeter across the terminals of the harness side of the connection. Turn the ignition switch back on. The voltmeter should read 5 volts. If the voltmeter does read 5 volts, replace the air sensor. If it does not read 5 volts, there is a problem in the air sensor wiring harness or the PCM.

Next test the 5-volt reference. With the ignition switch still on, connect the voltmeter between the black and red wire on the IAT connector and the battery negative terminal. The voltmeter should read 5 volts. If it does not, disconnect the battery, remove the PCM connector, and check for continuity in the wiring harness between the IAT connector and pin 15 of the PCM connector.

If the 5-volt reference is good, turn the ignition switch off. Connect the digital voltmeter between the positive terminal of the battery and the black and light blue wire on the IAT connector. The voltmeter should read 12 volts. If it does not, disconnect the battery, remove the PCM connector, and check ground continuity between the IAT connector and pin 4 of the PCM connector.

If no wiring problems are found, check the PCM connectors for corrosion, and reconnect. Reconnect the battery and test the circuit again. If the problem still exists, the PCM is probably bad.

Code 25

is thrown when the Automatic Idle Speed (AIS) motor circuit is shorted, or the target idle speed is not achieved.

The ECU (engine computer) monitors the voltage on the idle speed motor circuit, which should be near zero with the motor off and near 12 volts with the motor on. If it does not detect the appropriate voltage, it will register fault code 25. Likewise, if the computer repeatedly tries to achieve a desired idle speed and cannot, it will also register code 25. When it does this, it does not turn the Power Limited light or go into limp mode; presumably the programmers figured that the driver would know something was wrong.

Dont worry about code 12, that just means the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 ignition cycles.

checking in to see how its going?