-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Had problem with fan motor and found it was a ignition

Customer Question

Had problem with fan motor and found it was a ignition switch issue , replaced ignition switch and key cylinder. Now truck doesn't want to shut off right away when turn off and remove key. Sometimes it takes 10-20 sec to shut down. Also door bell is ringing even after key is removed when doors are open , should only ring if key is in ignition and doors open.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: It's new and wheel turns fine
JA: What is the model of your '10 Dodge?
Customer: 2005 ram 1500 / 6 cylinder.
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and all I have done is swap out ignition switch and key cylinder. Key is standard key, no electronics. I also replaced battery.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name is***** will be helping you with your question today...

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Brad I'm russell
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.

It sounds like you either have a bad ignition switch or you installed it wrong. I would remove it and reinstall it and the key cylinder.. The key cylinder should be installed first because it has a pin that goes into the ignition switch that needs to be lined up.

Let me know what happens

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Very well. Could I have wire harness upside down or something
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Really not a hard swap
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.

No the wiring harness will only connect 1 way.. I have repaired many of the blower motor green wire melting in the harness to the ignition switch so make sure it's not melted and then reinstall the key cylinder and ignition switch..

Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad