Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge runs for 20 min and dies. 2002 Dodge Ram 1500

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Can I get your engine size and or VIN?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, don't have the money. My Dodge Ram starts and runs for 20 min and then dies. I have change everything to cables and battery. Atl good.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Ok, but I do need your engine size in order to help you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
V8 5.9lt
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Does the the engine start right back up when it stalls out?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, Steering colum being acting up. Turn signal reading right to left
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

So the engine just cranks over but it does not start correct? Does it have spark when this happens?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Everything good. It runs for 20 min and dies. I put a old battery in just to see if every thing works. Charged. I put a new water and full pump in.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Everything is obvioulsy not good if the engine stalls out. It is either missing spark and or fuel when this happens. Which one?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I turn my keys over and no gauges work. Turns over starter work.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's takes about twent times turn keys on off to work.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

I am going to leave this question open.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I going to change steering column and see if that works. Thank you.
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** are 3 common causes for this type of stalling and not starting problem . 1 a failing crank shaft position sensor, 2 a failing cam shaft position sensor, and 3 a failing PCM (engine computer). Either one can act up when the engine warms up. Do this: try to get your Dodge to an auto parts store like AutoZone and ask them to connect their scan tool to your vehicle and check for any trouble codes. If there is a code for "loss of crank sensor signal or cam shaft sensor signal" then have the appropriate sensor replaced. If there are no codes at all, then suspect a failing PCM and have it replaced. Most auto parts stores will connect their scan tool for no charge to you.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ty
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

You are welcome!!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

I hope this information helps, and if so would you take a minute and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me if you have any follow up questions.

Thank you!

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I change the crankshaft sensor. Had it hook up to computer. What's a PCM?
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

The PCM is the engine computer. It is a box mounted on the right side of the firewall under the hood. It will have 3 or 4 large connectors plugged into it. This is most likely the problem.

Chris

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.
I hope this information helps, and if so would you take a minute and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me if you have any follow up questions. Thank you! Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply. Let me know. If my answer has been helpful , would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Thank you! Chris