Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with a remote starter which I

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with a remote starter which I have only used to test it and it worked ok. During the last 2 weeks it seemd that the truck would be slow to turn over, stalling a bit but ultimitly starting. I drove it to work and turned it off so a seemingly unadventrious ride. I must have hit the remote start button as I was getting out, because it started to turn over but stalled and died without starting. At that point some white smoke came out from under the hood but stopped a few seconds later. Truck would not start after that. Could it be that the battery just wasn't strong enough to start it at that point or may it be something else?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. This sounds like a failing battery, and/or a poor connection at the battery cables. How old is the battery?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not sure. I bought the truch a few months ago but did not ask that question. It does appear to be aged Am I correct in assuming the smoke I saw was just the exhaust due to the failed start?"
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When attempting to tart it after the smoke, it would not turn over at all
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.

Well I am thinking that the smoke may have been from an electrical arcing at the battery and cable connections. I recommend removing the battery cables and cleaning them and then reinstall and tighten them securely. If it still will not start, then remove the battery and take it to your auto parts store and have it tested. replace it if it fails the test.

Chris

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i'm at work and get off in the morning. Going to have a friend try to jump and then I'll go through the steps and by this time tomorrow I should know something. There seem to be very minute turning when I press the starter button on my remote but nothing when I tried to turn the key in the vehicle itself so I'll still go through all those procedures and let you know that cures the problem
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.

Sounds good. I will keep an eye out for your reply tomorrow.

Chris

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is battery power but no turning of anything. In the one fuse box right next to the battery I felt some vibrating in the black fuses which you cannot tell if they're blue one or not I thought a couple of them vibrating so I don't know if they'll be wonderful which is probably the starter relay fuse so Do you think that if I change those out that that might give it a chance to start because the battery power seems good from everything I could tell
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also do you think it's possible maybe the battery might not have enough power to turn over. I have a couple people thinking that starter might be bad since nothing is turning but I kind of doubt that are least I hope. I'm banking on those fuses and hopefully no more worse than that the battery.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did find the negative battery terminal a little loose could that have possibly caused the parking as it was trying to draw more power from the battery.? As I also stated before there's dome lights and everything but there just does not seem to be anything trying to turn over. When a friend of mine try to jump me he said you could hear like it was trying to turn over but just barely only a little bit
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
One last question and I'll wait for your reply to all of the above separate statements. So if the battery terminals are dirty or not tight that may cause the arcing as it tries to draw more power than the connection allows?
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.

Yes that is correct. L9ose cable connections can cause those exact same symptoms you are describing.

Chris

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Battery was tested and it has perfect charge on it. Terminals were playing re-connected to the battery and I'm still getting absolutely nothing could something be up with either the alternator or the starter. Like I stated earlier I felt something in the fuse box right next to the battery but I think the relays trying to work
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was finally able to talk to the mechanic here once said obviously he was going to have to look at it to be sure of another word says given how it was having trouble turning over before this that it might've hung up enough I don't know what would've caused the smoke except for maybe the affected maybe because the battery to arc but he says it sounds like it might be the starter. What are your thoughts on that?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
also is that difficult to change
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.

Ok, if the battery is good, and cables are good, then yes it may very well be the starter. Not the alternator.

Chris