Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

My 97 dodge Dakota sport 3.9 litre has an idle surge

Customer Question

My 97 dodge Dakota sport 3.9 litre has an idle surge problem. Runs great, idles like crap.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Is the idle surging too high or is the idle surging too low... What is the engine RPM range that the idle is surging within?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Also I need to know if the check engine light is on and if it has been scanned for codes...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It idles between 6.5- 7.0 R P M
The surging problem is very sporadic, does not happen all the time. Runs good when cold, surging starts up when engine heats up.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The check engine light is on. The last time a code was pulled up it read ( cylinder 1,3,5 misfires). When driving down the road the engine runs great.It does not misfire.
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

At this time try clearing the codes then drive it again. If you're still getting the misfire codes then it IS misfiring and that is what may be causing the surging idle. If you can do this' post back the codes that return and we can go from there...

Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Also check for vacuum leaks or a bad pcv as a vacuum leak can cause both the misfire and the surging idle. Don't forget about a possible leaking intake manifold or intake belly pan gasket...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will clear the codes and go from there. The PCv valve is in great shape. I removed the intake manifold cleaned all surfaces, replaced all gaskets Including the one on the plenum, torqued down all bolts to specs.replaced rubber O-rings on all 6 fuel injectors
Removed throttle body, cleaned,replaced with new gasket. Replaced throttle position sensor, mass air flow sensor,both co2 sensors, map sensor, engine coolant temperature sensor.complete tune-up,wires, plugs, cap, rotor and ignition coil. PLEASE HELP!!
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Do you have access to a scanner that can read "Live Data"? We need to see where the IAC steps are at.

Also, do you know if the throttle blade has been attempted to be adjusted on attempt to get it to idle better??