Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Im running a 2011 3500 operating a small hot shot business,

Customer Question

Im running a 2011 3500 operating a small hot shot business, recently when loaded and running at 32-35k total pounds the temp has started to run quite a bit warmer than normal. Use to run 203-205 pulling grades now 225-230 on a big long grade... The truck has all the deletes and h and s programmer set on tow setting. ARP head bolts were done a couple years ago, so i think I'm good there, I just dropped $614.00 on a mopar clutch fan and it didn't help, I pressure washed the radiator while i had it out and it didn't help either. Where to go from here aside from taking to stealership,,,THANKS IN ADVANCE..Oh yea pulling dtc po692 code which says Fan 1 Control Circuit High
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 5 months ago.

Hi there.

In many instances, we've seen bad hydro-electric fan clutches that have pulled too much amperage. This high-amperage draw can damage other components in the circuit, such as the relay and even the TIPM and PCM.

You have done a good thing by replacing the fan clutch, as doing so eliminates the source of the problem. Now you need to find out what else got taken out by that bad clutch, and to do that you'll need to plug in a bi-directional scan tool capable of performing the necessary actuator tests. Any chance you can get your hands on one of those? It doesn't necessarily have to be at a Dodge dealer; there are many independent techs out there who have this kind kind of high-end scan tool.

If you can get one, I can guide you through whatever procedures and tests we need to pinpoint the root cause of the problem.

The main reason for the overheating is the fan is not being commanded to turn at the required speed.

The main reason for the overheating is the fan not being commanded to turn at the required speed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
where is the ( Fan 1 Control Circuit High relay) located
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i don't think the original fan was bad bc it has made zero change in the issue, I'm thinking it is a relay issue somewhere, but have no idea where this is located
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what is a TIPM and PCM.

I wish there was an easier to explain this. I'll try the best I can:

The relay is part of of the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), which is the new electronic version of the old fuse/relay box.

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is the onboard computer in charge of how the engine runs. It receives signals from the engine temperature sensor telling it if temperature is too high or too low. Based on those signals, it then commands the TIPM to control fan speed. It monitors fan speed directly from the fan clutch. In this particular case, the PCM is detecting too high of a signal from the control circuit.

To give you an idea of the technical complexity involved, only people Dodge allows to work on these systems are Certified Master Techs who have received the pertinent factory training - reason I know is because I am a retired trainer.

Now, some of these Master Techs have quit the dealership and are now working independently with a lot less overhead, so they charge substantially less. If I were in your shoes, I'd shop around and see if one of those techs is in your area.

Forgot to tell you; both PCM and TIPM are part of a unique communications network within the truck. If any of those is replaced, the new unit(s) will have to be programmed to the truck's VIN - doing that requires a dealer-level scan tool loaded with the appropriate software.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
relay location?

I already answered that question: "The relay is part of of the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), which is the new electronic version of the old fuse/relay box."

I'm sorry I failed to explain this in a way you could understand. I'll opt out and let others try. Please don't accept, rate or reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle this back to me.

Best Regards.