-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

06 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Turbo, A/C compressor will not stay

Customer Question

06 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Turbo, A/C compressor will not stay engaged. The blower blows air, however, when the A/C button is pressed the compressor attempts to engage 3 times in 3 seconds and then stops trying. The process can be repeated every time the A/C button is pressed. I have a scanner to read the computer codes and it shows no errors. The A/C will not stay engaged long enough to cycle the refrigerant through to get a reading on the gauge as the pressure is too high. Where should I start to look for the problem? Thanks
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: 99,000 and yes
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just typed what i have done
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name is*****'m a 19 Yr Dodge dealership technician and I will be helping you with your question today...

Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Is your scantool capable of retrieving the codes from the TIPM which is the fuse box under the hood? We see quite a few P1274 codes in the TIPM which supplies voltage to the compressor. If you have this code you will need a new compressor..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a Innova 3130 OBD2 scan tool, it shows no trouble codes, not entirely clear on how to check further.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.
If it will not communicate with the TIPM then you will need a WiTech scantool or one similar to retrieve the codes
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, so if I get one that reads the TIPM and it shows P1274 then I will need a new compressor. Is the there anything else that may cause the problem or are there too many possibilities without being able to read whats going on at the TIPM
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

The TIPM controls the voltage to the compressor and if there is an electrical issue you may have other codes, but the very first step in repairing your issues is to see what's wrong. And to do that you will need to see what codes are in the TIPM.. Since you said there were none in the PCM then your high and low side switches should be ok and it's likely a bad compressor clutch but we won't know for sure until you can read the codes..

Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Brad