rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Problem with 2004 Dodge Dakota ,3.7 4x4 ,automatic, the

Customer Question

problem with 2004 Dodge Dakota ,3.7 4x4 ,automatic, the truck engine light blinking idles rough, when I put the truck in gear, engine light goes out and runs fine. back in neutral light come on and blinks , can you help , put in new plugs,
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 month ago.

The misfires you are feeling can be a variety of things from coils to fuel injectors to low compression from a jumped timing chain.

You will need to do some diagnostics on these items prior to replacing anything because it can get expensive.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I checked all those possibilities, no problem with the coils , no low compression , if the chain jumped I would have a mess, it runs smooth then idles rough , then blinking light come on ,put it in drive light goes out
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 month ago.

Well then that would have to be a defective computer if it's not throwing any codes and the CRANK sensor is good. The flashing light means a misfire as you know and codes should be set. You can also attach your scan tool to read all the data being outputted.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars and keep this link in case you need me again later on.