Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2007 Sprinter (ex Fed Ex) loses power and goes in limp mode.

Customer Question

2007 Sprinter (ex Fed Ex) loses power and goes in limp mode. Dealer says it is either turbo or egr valve or torque converter or trnsmission. Not much help there!
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: intermittent
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, it has been at dealer for 30 days. So far replaced glow plugs with no change.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I went on line and saw recommendations for turbo resonator and egr valve, but dealers mechanic refused to change. Said they were not the problem.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Has it been scanned for codes? If so, please post all codes here. If no codes, please list the exact symptoms you are encountering. I should be able to help with the above info...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Robert,I bought this van at auction. Dashboard cluster was out so dealer replaced. Shows 137,000 miles on odometer. Was Fed Ex. My son drove it back from Oklahoma and lost power several times. Once couldn't make it over a speed bump after slowing almost to a full stop. Again after stopping at a stop light it would only go 20 miles per hour for several minutes before finally taking off again at normal speed.
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can have these Codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert