Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Also -- I have a 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 1500 truck. I

Customer Question

Also -- I have a 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 1500 truck. I Recently went into the local Dodge dealership to have the GPS fixed as it was confused and was not giving directions and correct bearing points. They told me that they tried to re-program the computer on the radio/GPS system and that it would only accept 90% of the software update and that I would have to buy a complete new radio unit for $900! The radio blue tooth and everything works fine except for the GPS, which they say they cannot program with an update..........Have you heard of this and can you help?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Robert -- last eight digits of VIN: DS616691
The vehicle has 80,000 miles
Everything else works perfectly and it is in near new condition with excellent maintenance.Thank you!
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Ok you can verify this for yourself if you have an 8 gb USB memory stick.

There is a software update that you can download yourself and attempt to run the update yourself. If you find that the update is unsuccessful you will have no choice but to purchase a new radio.

Click the following link to go to the Uconnect Website. Enter your complete 17 digit vin number and download and extract the file to the usb drive.

There is a tutorial on the website that gives you a step by step for performing the update for your radio.

If you have difficulties with the update, please post a reply with any questions you have and I'll do my best to help...

CLICK HERE to visit Uconnect Udate Page.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Robert for your reply. I did try the update and it is not reading my USB correctly in the port - I am receiving an error message....I will be contacting U Connect for trouble shooting and support in helping with the update. I purchased a fresh flash drive for this and updates are the only files on it. If you have any ideas, please let me know. I don't want to have to purchase a replacement radio!Mark
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

What is the actual error message you are receiving?

When you downloaded the update, did you download it to your computer first then click the file to extract it to your usb stick or did you download the update directly to the usb stick?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I downloaded it directly to my computer and then copied it to the USB stick. I get the following error messages in succession:
recog_fail
recog_ successful
start_phone
error
incoming call defaultand at the same time of the error codes a series of phone ringing, various beeps and sounds. I do not have my cell phone connected when doing this, but it acts as if there is a phone connected and all call coming in. The error messages, beeps and sounds just keep repeating over and over until I pull out the USB.I verified with U Connect all of the files that are to be downloaded and they are resident on the flash drive.thanks
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Sounds like the dealer is correct in the fact that the radio may need to be replaced. If Uconnect can't help you out, you will have no choice but to purchase a new radio assembly..

The reason for the error messages is likely due to hardware failure internally in the radio unit...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Robert for your help..... I am going to have U Connect give me the last ditch effort. I am afraid that you are correct and that I am going to have to replace the Radio Unit.Mark
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

ok, good luck..

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.