Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Check engine light at idle. The # 5 intake valve is

Customer Question

check engine light at idle. The # 5 intake valve is bypassing at idle. This was determined by pressuring the cylinder. The shop recommends an engine replacement. It's a 2008 Dodge Dakota with 50K
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It blinks, sometimes go out. At times the light comes on and stays on for few days that goes out and stays out for days. Only happens in idle.
JA: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, working with a shop. They ran diagnostic's and everything else checked good. That's when they did the compression check and cylinder leak down and discover the #5 intake valve was bypassing. Compression on that cylinder was 170,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that should be it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I would like to assist you with your question. I see the information you have typed above. What exactly is your question?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is the fix rather then replacing the engine as recommended by the shop
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

The cylinder head or heads would need to be removed and sent out to a machine shop. They would then pressure check and resurface the cylinder heads and even possibly replace the valve or springs as needed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
why are they suggesting replacing the engine instead.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

You would have to ask them that question. I suspect because it is less labor to replace the engine rather than just replacing the engine.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, I meant to say it is less labor to replace the engine rather than to remove and reinstall the cylinder heads.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just did, they said the rings are blowing by too, Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

YUP! That will do it!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.