sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Overdrive on 92 auto diesel fwd is kicking out at 65 mph and

Customer Question

Overdrive on 92 auto diesel fwd is kicking out at 65 mph and or sometimes won't engage until throttle is released at 60mph I've monitored tips voltage live and it appears to be fine 1.44 -4.06 volts
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: Engine is original and has 330,000 km on it valve set don't last year what do u mean by serviced oil filter and lube done 2000 km ago
JA: Are you fixing your 330 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: This truck is the 250 only tested input and output voltage of tps and yes would like to repair myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Transmission is non lock up 46 rh and was rebuilt 100,000 km ago
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

There are a handful of things that could be going on. You could have a mechanical issue in the overdrive unit, you could have a bad overdrive clutch solenoid or wiring issue, or it may be downshifting intentionally. The most likely cause for it downshifting intentionally would be the TPS voltage being higher than it should be.

When this happens does the data show the overdrive clutch is being commanded off?