Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics

Air bag light on, no, 2003, 2003 Durango...looking for

Customer Question

air bag light on
JA: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2003 Durango...looking for answers ,is it safe to drive?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! Good morning! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today. Unfortunately, there is no easy, 1-answer, "it's this..." type of answer here. There are dozens of parts and sensors that are monitored by the Air Bag System. This can be anything from an impact sensor to a problem with the seat belts, and anything in between. The first course of action here is to have the diagnostic trouble codes scanned from the on-board computer. These codes will more accurately point to the part or sensor that has the problem, and from there, the correct repair can be made. SOME local parts stores, like AutoZone, will have the correct scan-tool to read the codes. If you can find one, they will do this service for Free (except in California). If you cannot find a location with the correct scan-tool, a shop will be needed. In the meantime, yes, it is perfectly safe to drive the vehicle. Just keep in mind, while the Air Bag light is on, this system is turned off. So, you will not have the extra added safety in the event of an accident. Use a bit more caution when driving and you'll be just fine. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.