Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

06 2.7 l Dodge Charger over heats, not all the time. Why ??

Customer Question

06 2.7 l Dodge Charger over heats , not all the time . Why ??
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Is there a scenario that makes it worse, like AC use, hills, traffic?

When it occurs do you lose coolant?

How often is this occurring?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Traffic seems to be worse and a bunch of short trips in a row
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Bubbles up a lot / loose coolant some times
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Strange when it happens . Can drive back and fourth to work all week and it's fine . A Saturday run here run there and there it goes and over heats
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also live in Florida so a/c on all the time

Thanks,

Based on your repairs the fan would be a possibility. There could be a poor connection causing the radiator fan at times to not run. So the next step will be to watch the gauge, once it starts to rise verify the radiator fan is running. If it is then you can rue that out. The next step is a cylinder compression test. You could have a slight head gasket leak. This will allow combustion pressure to pack air into the cooling system. The cooling system can handle and purge out most air pockets but if it gets overwhelmed it will momentarily stop the flow of coolant.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also just pulled a P0058 code
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also when I try to burp the air out of it it can't get all of the air out and doesn't seem to be pushing a lot of water threw the top hose . Think thermostat could be acting up again .

You can remove the thermostat and test it in water on the stove with a thermometer to see if it opens correct.

You will only get coolant flow through the top hose when running in the 195-205 range when the thermostat is open, and air in the system cna prevent the thermostat form opening since the thermostat would not have hot coolant up against it to make it open.

Your 0058 O2 sensor code is not related to this issue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how do you bleed the system if the top hose doesn't get much water flowing threw it . Fans work fine . I can let it sit here and idle all day without any problems . Does not make any sense
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I just leave the thermostat out ?

No you can not leave the thermostat out. At times it would make it run to cold and then to hot. The engine runs best at operating temp and the coolant needs time to stop and cool off in the radiator.

This link shows how to drain, fill, bleed https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/dfb.pdf

If air returns after doing this then the compression test I mentioned prior is needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the coolant level does not go down after normal driving
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Question after reading your bleed instructions . # 10 says fill system till coolant flows out bleeder . I can not get coolant to come out of bleeder when I fill it up , what would cause this . By the way the car runs great with plenty of power just the hot prob

You can try raising the front end off the ground about 6 inches or park aimed up hill to see if you can then get it to bleed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did that already !

That means it is bleed as much as it can be. Its now time for a compression test.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Gonna change thermostat tomorrow again then do comp test
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Runs to good to be cracked head - Im an aicraft mechanic as well

I do not believe you have a cracked head. That would result in coolant and oil mixing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I agree so what then ????

You need to check the compression.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that will tell me cracked head then ?

I am going to copy and paste what I wrote from my first answer in case you missed it.

The next step is a cylinder compression test. You could have a slight head gasket leak. This will allow combustion pressure to pack air into the cooling system. The cooling system can handle and purge out most air pockets but if it gets overwhelmed it will momentarily stop the flow of coolant.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
10/4

Super

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris