Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

2001 Dodge Caravan needs a new upstream oxygen sensor.

Customer Question

2001 Dodge Caravan needs a new upstream oxygen sensor. Rusted so bad I can't get it out of manifold. Heated with a torch and mangled it. Tried to pull the manifold, but 4 of the bolts to the head are rusted such that I can't get a socket to turn them. So now I need to pull or drop the engine to get a straight shot at the sensor (stub) or the manifold bolts if I need to replace the manifold.
JA: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?
Customer: Yes and yes.
JA: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I got a socket onto the upstream sensor, couldn't turn it. Heated it bright red with the oxy-acetylene torch and tried again with the impact wrench. Mangled the sensor pretty bad, won't turn, no good access. Manifold won't come off due to badly rusted bolt heads, so I need to get the engine out far enough to work on these problems. There is only 3 inches of space there.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'd like to remove the engine only, without the transaxle if at all possible.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 month ago.

Hi. The oxygen sensor is mangled too bad now to get a socket on it? often times those oxygen sensors just hop on the sensor and we have to bust the top of the sensor off and use a deep socket and breaker bar, or if space permits, our impact always gets it. If your sensor is mangled too bad to do that then have you tried soaking it in PB Blaster, and using a pipe wrench?

Are you seeking instruction to remove the engine?

it was supposed to say "oxygen sensor sockets hop on the sensor"