-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a 2016 dodge 4500 with a 6.7 engine. I removed the

Customer Question

I have a 2016 dodge 4500 with a 6.7 engine. I removed the second alternator.
When started the battery light came on.
I understand that the truck will need to be reprogrammed. My question is can the truck be driven like this until the dealer can get it in?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

with the truck together have you tested to see how many volts where at the alternator when the engine is at idle ?

Expert:  -Brad- replied 3 months ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

I'm not sure why you removed the 2nd alternator but the reason the check engine light is on is because it's setting a open circuit code for the 2nd alternator and it can't be programmed to turn off. I would install the alternator to turn off the light. If you have the belt on then yes it can be driven anywhere because the 2nd alternator is there for more amperage. You will still be charging ok with 1 alternator but if you plan on leaving the 2nd one off then the check engie light will stay on..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

sorry Brad you are over posting me please opt out

I am sorry for the confusion of another expert chiming in and making this more complicated

this has 2 alternators and you removed one of them ?

if you put it all back together will the light go out ?

can you see what you show for volts at the battery when the truck is running at idle ?

Expert:  -Brad- replied 3 months ago.

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more assistance?

Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

how are you making out ?

did you check the voltage yet ?

if you need any assistance let me know

Gary

Expert:  -Brad- replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more assistance?