Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

Have a 04 Dakota, 4.7 engine, 4 wheel drive. 106,000 miles.

Customer Question

Have a 04 Dakota, 4.7 engine,***** 106,000 miles. Truck would not engage in drive, check engine light popped on, drove home (2 miles) in 1st but tach showed rpm around 3000. What would you advise? Can I drive 3 miles to have code read or should I have towed?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: On
JA: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I can't fix, transmission fluid is fine, color good.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did have to slowly drive through about a foot of water today. Heavy rains here and streets were flooded. No problems until this evening. Drove for the first time since morning rain and this just happened suddenly. Up to then, no problems.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

how fast would it drive without reving the engine too high?

Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

i would have it towed to the shop

the odds are something got water in it like the mode switch causing the computer to now know what gear it is in

the codes should tell the shop that

if this only happened with the water then the odds are it will be something electronic that water got into

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

how are you making out ?