Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I recently bought an old 1990 D150 LE truck with a 318

Customer Question

I recently bought an old 1990 D150 LE truck with a 318 engine. There is an overdrive push button in the dash but it appears the transmission is not an overdrive transmission. The two wire connector for the transmission is simply wound around a cable and not connected to the transmission. I can not find any place on the transmission it could be plugged into. My understanding is the truck should have a 518 or 500 transmission but it looks like a picture I have seen of the 727 transmission with the thin tail shaft. I thought that if the transmission was replaced at some time the length would be different causing the transmission mount to be reworked but there doesn't appear to have been any work done on the mount. How can that be?
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Do you know what they look like?
Customer: Sure
JA: What is the model of your '90 Dodge?
Customer: D150 LE
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I recently bought it and am trying to fix the existing issue with the truck. The overdrive doesn't work but it appears the transmission doesn't have the connections for the o/d connection.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Any idea which transmission should be in the truck and how I can identify the one I have. Trying to find this information is very frustrating.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Most likely the transmission was replaced with a transmission that fit this model that didnt need very much modification or that the cross member with the transmission mount was also replaced possibly.It does sound like the incorrect transmission was installed on this model here but if it shifts and operates properly (all except over drive) then you should be o.k. to operate it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete