Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I think my tranny shift cable is bad. 03 durango, 4.7

Customer Question

I think my tranny shift cable is bad.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 03 durango, 4.7 engine
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 250000 miles, automatic
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So the gear shifter goea up and down without clicking into gears...it moves smoothly. But on the dash shows its in 1 and it won't start
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I looked underneath and the cable is connected. I can manually shift into 1, 2 and d. I don't know how hard to push to go farther.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

That could very well be the shift cable. Does the lower end move when the lever is moved?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Let me check
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

Okay, thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No it's not moving. But manually, i can only easily shift between d, 2 and 1. Is this normal?
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

No, it should move when the selector lever is moved. Also, the manual lever on the trans should move pretty easily by hand or with some pliers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It moves easily into the 3 gears. I haven't tried to apply too much pressure because of the angle. Is it normal to need more force to go to r and p?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If thats normal, i need to know how the cames comes apart in the steering column. Im trying to see if it's broke or if it came apart
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

Yes, it sounds like it came apart and that is broken.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What i cant find is how it comes apart in the steering column. It looks like the metal end of the new cable goes into some plastic connectprs that connect to the gear shifter. But i cant figure out how the metal and connectors come apart
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

That is all in the instructions, thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my ultimate question is how do I take the cable apart at the steering column and I have to pay an additional fee to get that answer?
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

That was not how the original question seemed to sound, "I think my tranny shift cable is bad.".

And no, I can get the instructions to you in a dropbox file, thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

I have the instructions in a PDF format, at the following link. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page.

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1zy2fsrjzieohx/GEARSHIFT%20CABLE.pdf?dl=0

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****